Sunday, May 13, 2012

Munich: An Extended Layover


The first two weeks of April I didn’t have classes due to the Easter vacation. Although I went on a program organized trip to Krakow the last few days of break, we had the first part of the break free and I decided to visit the Netherlands and Belgium. However, in order to get to Amsterdam, I needed to change trains in Munich. I decided to extend my layovers so I had two days to explore the city.

To start off with, here are some in transit train photos taken near Salzburg:





My first day in Munich was a Sunday, meaning Munich’s main art museums were heavily discounted. I decided to visit the Pinakothek Moderne, the contemporary art museum. The museum included a special exhibit of pictures of women by Picasso, Max Beckmann, and Willem de Kooning, a collection various contemporary paintings and sculptures, and an exhibit on the design of furniture and household items.



I really liked this jewelry exhibit. In addition to each individual piece being art, the whole presentation of all the pieces was also art.





Coincidentally, I saw the last sculpture a couple months earlier in Berlin’s contemporary art museum.

After the museum, I wandered through the Hofgarten and the English Gardens until my train arrived.






During my second day in Munich on the way back, I took a free walking tour that covered most of the main sites in Munich’s city center including the Frauen Kirche: 




the National Opera:



(I particularly like this painting at the top of the building.)

 and the New Town Hall, including the Glockenspiel, Europe’s second most overrated tourist attraction:



Here's an assortment of other photos of Munich:











No comments:

Post a Comment